PDA

View Full Version : Damn you, Leslie Stahl!

TCUBOB
04-21-2008, 05:10 PM
....thank you, 60 Minutes, for your intrepid journalism. Why, how wonderful that only 1 out of every 1000 people die now of this surgery! Why, how wonderful that it instantly cures type II diabetes! Why, how wonderful that all of these people who you chose to interview are so very happy! Why, how wonderful that all of the doctors that you interviewed thought that bariatric surgery is the greatest thing since sliced bread!

Really, 60 Minutes, thank you. Because of you, I had to wake up to an e-mail from my parents that had them all but committing me to having gastric bypass surgery so that they don't have to "worry" about me or my future. They saw nothing wrong with being gutted like a fish and deliberatly mutilating myself so that I could be healthy and thin! In fact, they don't even have to GUT you anymore now that they can do it all laproscopicaly (sic)! In fact, the doctor you feature is just down the road from me in Richmond! Perhaps I should call him for an appointment!

And when I suggest that perhaps that's not what I want or that it's none of their business, why they attack me! Because they're worried about my health, and they won't be able to take care of me! And besides, this isn't risky life-altering surgery, it's a cure! For being fat! And diabetic! Because you don't have the will or ability to lose weight on your own! How could you think that insulting!

Son of a bitch....now what do I do?

AlethaBBW
04-21-2008, 05:26 PM
I guess finding new parents is not an option? The mere mention of the surgery sends my father into fits of hysteria. 1 in 1000 is too much risk for him when it comes to me.

I'm sorry... *hugs* :(

BigBeautifulMe
04-21-2008, 06:21 PM
I saw a preview for that, and was wondering how it was going to turn out. Why am I not surprised? :(

gangstadawg
04-21-2008, 07:04 PM
I guess finding new parents is not an option? The mere mention of the surgery sends my father into fits of hysteria. 1 in 1000 is too much risk for him when it comes to me.

I'm sorry... *hugs* :(
im hearing different numbers than that but i dont know who is right anymore with stats. i hear its like 12 out of 100 or 150.

Sugar Magnolia
04-21-2008, 08:08 PM
I'm sorry that happened to you, Bob.

Some people just don't GET that it's a personal decision and this surgery definitely isn't for everyone. Perhaps they'd like to chat with me for a bit. I didn't have the surgery, but I have watched my 62 year old mother go through it. She didn't have any of the typical obesity issues (diabetes, high blood pressure, etc.) other than her knees were shot. The docs convinced her it would be much EASIER than knee replacement - which they wouldn't even consider at her weight. I can tell them how many sleepless nights I stayed up researching and reading about this surgery online. I can tell them how I would go to the support groups with her in support of her and how pissed off the other women there who had WLS got when I told them I wouldn't have it. A number of the women who did have it had regained a lot of their weight and were as big as me (2x). I can tell them the fear I felt as my only parent was wheeled into surgery that morning, wondering if something terrible would happen in that OR of this world-class hospital as they re-routed her digestive system. I can tell them how I helped her through the house for a walk - and the feeling I felt as I smelled a horrible odor coming from her - and I realized her main laproscopic site "broke loose" and infection oozed from it. Or how my sister had to "pack" this site until it healed as it should have (we traded duties; I won't go into mine here). I can tell them how glad I was when she finally started getting "better" - only to have a set back. The new hole they created was just a little too small and nothing was getting through - they had to go down and "stretch" it. I can't tell them how many times she's thrown up once she started eating again! For awhile there, she'd be driving down the road and just have to pull over and let it rip - it was almost a daily thing on family vacations (we can now tease her about leaving DNA in every state). I can tell them 3 years out, she was back in for endiscopy to discover her new little stomach pouch had an ulcer taking up nearly half of it. Thank goodness medicine could help this.

I can tell them how just today she was in for yet another endiscopy - her ulcer is back. Thank God that's all. Her surgeon had feared maybe a staple had come loose.

I can tell them after nearly 4 years, she looks great - her hair is finally coming back in thicker, her color is good and she is down to a size 12. Her knees don't hurt her as they once did - so she is able to get out and do the things she wants.

I can tell them it's not a cure for "being fat." She can't eat "normally." She can't eat anything spicy and certain food scents make her ill. Yet she thinks about food all the time. She has a hard time with any protein, which is what she needs. Family dinners aren't the same. She'll cook a huge meal for everyone and she can eat a few bites (which sometimes still is thrown up). There's no problem keeping sweets down - and that really scares her - she's afraid of gaining anything after all that she's gone through.

I can tell them she is glad she had it - for mobility's sake, but it's been a long, hard road for her. I can tell them how this has changed our lives forever - good and bad - as we are constantly worrying about our mom and what effects may come. Then I'd tell them how terribly unfair they are for TELLING someone they should do this. And I'm not against it - I just wouldn't ask anyone to go through it.

Ok... enough of that for now. Try to enjoy your evening.

gangstadawg
04-21-2008, 09:51 PM
....thank you, 60 Minutes, for your intrepid journalism. Why, how wonderful that only 1 out of every 1000 people die now of this surgery! Why, how wonderful that it instantly cures type II diabetes! Why, how wonderful that all of these people who you chose to interview are so very happy! Why, how wonderful that all of the doctors that you interviewed thought that bariatric surgery is the greatest thing since sliced bread!

Really, 60 Minutes, thank you. Because of you, I had to wake up to an e-mail from my parents that had them all but committing me to having gastric bypass surgery so that they don't have to "worry" about me or my future. They saw nothing wrong with being gutted like a fish and deliberatly mutilating myself so that I could be healthy and thin! In fact, they don't even have to GUT you anymore now that they can do it all laproscopicaly (sic)! In fact, the doctor you feature is just down the road from me in Richmond! Perhaps I should call him for an appointment!

And when I suggest that perhaps that's not what I want or that it's none of their business, why they attack me! Because they're worried about my health, and they won't be able to take care of me! And besides, this isn't risky life-altering surgery, it's a cure! For being fat! And diabetic! Because you don't have the will or ability to lose weight on your own! How could you think that insulting!

and also cure for diabetes??? so they going to start giving it to thin people as well???? 60 minutes is starting to look as bad as fox news.

ATxFattie
04-22-2008, 12:29 AM
They made no mention of the fact that some that have the procedure trade one addication for another. Trade food for shopping or drinking. I think i'd rather keep my 25,ooo the quoted cost.

MissToodles
04-22-2008, 04:39 AM
and also cure for diabetes??? so they going to start giving it to thin people as well???? 60 minutes is starting to look as bad as fox news.

The report mentioned a surgeon doing trials on thin people in Brazil.

gangstadawg
04-22-2008, 01:05 PM
The report mentioned a surgeon doing trials on thin people in Brazil.
damn! soon they will propose docs give gastric bypass to babies fresh out the womb to get rid of the future generations of overweight people.

Sandie_Zitkus
04-22-2008, 01:54 PM
No - soon they will be able - through genetic testing - to know if an unborn baby has the fat gene and it will be aborted by parents that don't want fat kids. Which already makes me very sad.:(

damn! soon they will propose docs give gastric bypass to babies fresh out the womb to get rid of the future generations of overweight people.

TCUBOB
04-22-2008, 05:14 PM
Thanks, guys for listening. I'm still really mixed up on the whole thing.

I mean, I know that my parents are trying to do what they think is right. Part of it was presentation and the other part was assuming that I'd never thought about this or discussed it with my doctor.....

I guess we all have to carry the past of our childhood with us, and our parents, for good or ill, for right or wrong, just push our buttons.

They don't feel that this is a tread lightly subject (weight, health). The see it as a battering ram subject. And all the diets, all the camps, all the crap I took as a kid....it doesn't register with them. They can't understand what it was like.....well, maybe my mom can, because as a kid she was chunky and withdrawn and her mother was always scolding her....

I just wish that I could talk to them about it, that we could step outside ourselves and look at the point that the other side is making. They can't see my side and I admit that while I can see theirs, I'm prickly.

And yes, because of the FDA's rules on who can qualify for bariatric surgery (although they want to change that too), they're testing whether or not it could work for type I's.

I'll say this, though: If it turns out that it is just disconnecting the duodendum (duodena? something like that) at the top of the intestines, then it's possible that they could just cut THAT part out and reconnect the intestines to the stomach with no further action -- removing the danger of diabetes from overweight people. That seems unlikely, however, since it would involve the medical profession accepting that people could be fat and healthly, and I'm pretty sure that you could lose all your money in Vegas on that bet.

Dibaby35
05-01-2008, 12:48 PM
Seems like your mad about alot of things in your post. But I think the root of your problem is the inability to really talk to your parents and for them to really understand how you feel. I know its really hard to stand up to your parents on something that u believe in. But you really need to do this for yourself. Good luck.

gangstadawg
05-01-2008, 11:07 PM
Thanks, guys for listening. I'm still really mixed up on the whole thing.

I mean, I know that my parents are trying to do what they think is right. Part of it was presentation and the other part was assuming that I'd never thought about this or discussed it with my doctor.....

I guess we all have to carry the past of our childhood with us, and our parents, for good or ill, for right or wrong, just push our buttons.

They don't feel that this is a tread lightly subject (weight, health). The see it as a battering ram subject. And all the diets, all the camps, all the crap I took as a kid....it doesn't register with them. They can't understand what it was like.....well, maybe my mom can, because as a kid she was chunky and withdrawn and her mother was always scolding her....

I just wish that I could talk to them about it, that we could step outside ourselves and look at the point that the other side is making. They can't see my side and I admit that while I can see theirs, I'm prickly.

And yes, because of the FDA's rules on who can qualify for bariatric surgery (although they want to change that too), they're testing whether or not it could work for type I's.

I'll say this, though: If it turns out that it is just disconnecting the duodendum (duodena? something like that) at the top of the intestines, then it's possible that they could just cut THAT part out and reconnect the intestines to the stomach with no further action -- removing the danger of diabetes from overweight people. That seems unlikely, however, since it would involve the medical profession accepting that people could be fat and healthly, and I'm pretty sure that you could lose all your money in Vegas on that bet.
type 1 diabetes! but that version of diabetes from what i heard isnt weight related.

Miss Vickie
05-02-2008, 01:35 PM
type 1 diabetes! but that version of diabetes from what i heard isnt weight related.

It's not weight related at all. I believe the current thinking is that it's from a virus or autoimmune reaction or something. The body basically destroys the cells in the pancreas that make insulin. With Type II diabetes the body makes insulin (for awhile anyway) but either doesn't make enough or the cells in the body are resistant to the insulin and don't utilize it properly.

steely
06-26-2008, 01:19 PM
I usually tell my parent it won't matter because according to health professionals,I'll be dead before she will.No taking care of anyone.

Elfcat
06-26-2008, 03:39 PM
On the diabetes thing, I remember on the PBS Frontline "Fat" program, one researcher noted that the remission of symptoms of diabetes happened very quickly, in fact really before any weight was lost to speak of. So that kind of punches a hole in the idea that the fatness itself is causative of diabetes, though indeed as has I think been discussed in some places, the real root cause of diabetes could also be causative of weight gain. This researcher further stated his belief that the remission of diabetic symptoms was not a result of the rearranging of the digestive system, but of the severing of certain nerves which serve it. So.... if that were true, you'd think they might want to consider an alternative for patients they deem worthy of WLS - an operation merely to sever those nerves and leave the rest of the system alone. Surely, while it probably wouldn't be completely free of possible side effects and risk, it would be less than those of what they're doing currently. Oh, but there's no fun in pursuing an option which would result in fat nondiabetics is there? :P

liz (di-va)
06-26-2008, 03:55 PM
I share yer frustration...hang in there Bob.

Tooz
06-30-2008, 11:21 AM

Tell them to find their business elsewhere, 'cuz it ain't here. It is ultimately your body. I'm sorry that you have to deal with them doing this, though.

It is times like this I am so glad my mother never did things like this to me.