PDA

View Full Version : Lane Bryant your size guide is WRONG!

Ruby Ripples
06-22-2008, 10:42 AM
I eventually managed to get a friend to ship me the Lane Bryant order I wanted, from the 50% off sale a while ago. Not wanting to take ANY chances with the items not fitting me, since i knew Id be paying about $60 shipping, I measured myself and consulted the Lane Bryant sizing guide. I realised that I am actually slightly ABOVE the top size but reckoned I would risk it. So I duly received my order, and the only things that fit me are the bangles I bought. Hooray for having jangly arms for the first time in years.

But a massive BOO to Lane Bryant for actually LYING on their size chart. Every single item of clothing I received is too big for me. A LOT too big. The deep pink pretty top I was most excited about receiving is ludicrously big, so much so that the head hole part is nearly sliding down my shoulders at both sides. I couldn't even wear these and pretend theyre just baggy, I look like a clown. Im really mad about such a big company doing this. If they want their clothes to be generously sized, great. But tell the freakin truth on your size charts, thats what you have them for!!!

Im so annoyed about this, I was excited that for ONE summer I'd actually have a choice of clothes to pick from. Looks like I'll be doing an Ebay selling, which is a hassle.

Rant over, for now :P

ps. I WILL be writing to Lane Bryant.

AnnMarie
06-22-2008, 10:47 AM
Sorry that screwed you over, Ruby, but it's fairly common here for the size charts to be off.

For instance, we've had multiple threads and posts over time about the Avenue Denim Lite jeans and how they fit many of us that they simply should NOT fit. Old Navy is the same way...most of those clothes shouldn't come close to fitting me, and they pretty much all do.

I ordered some things from that LB sale as well, and I ordered pretty much all 30/32 (which in some of their things was listed as 3x) and they all fit perfectly, thank God.

Anyway, I don't want to lessen your frustration, you're right that it sucks you can't rely on charts more... but just wanted you to know it's not unique to them. I wish they'd get more accurate because there is much more I could be buying if I knew for sure the measurements were right! :)

BeautifulPoeticDisaster
06-22-2008, 12:03 PM
Katy, I have tried to explain how much bigger American clothes are. I'm sorry that your order didn't fit:( But it is good for me as they actually make clothes that fit me unlike any company in Europe.

Good luck with ebay. Which sizes did you buy? I might be one of your customers:)

I miss American clothes!!! I still don't have my Lane Bryant order yet from that sale...I get to pick it up in August.

ETA: it is frustrating that the numbers don't match though...they should own up to the fact that their clothes fit bigger people than they let on.

indy500tchr
06-22-2008, 04:04 PM
Katy I totally hear you on this one. Women Within has started to run very large. When I go to Fashion Bug or the Lane Bryant stores a 4x fits me just right. When I order from the Women Within (old Lane Bryant Catalog) I order a 2x. I too used to look at the sizing charts and ordered a pair of jeans from them. When I got them I was able to pull them on and off w/out unbuttoning them and had room to spare. That's when I learned to downsize.

Don't get discouraged with them just yet. I would just post on here before you purchase anything else to get some help. I would be more than happy to assist you out with that!

thatgirl08
06-22-2008, 07:09 PM
Lane Bryant sizes rarely are accurate in my opinion and I find that a lot of their clothes just, fight me strangely. I usually have the opposite problem with them though - things tend to run too small. I wear a size 22/24 on top, and yet sometimes I find myself not being able to fit into a 26/28. I don't know! I'm sorry you have to deal with this though, I know it can be a serious pain in the ass. Good luck selling everything on ebay.

Tooz
06-22-2008, 07:23 PM
Lane Bryant sizes rarely are accurate in my opinion and I find that a lot of their clothes just, fight me strangely. I usually have the opposite problem with them though - things tend to run too small. I wear a size 22/24 on top, and yet sometimes I find myself not being able to fit into a 26/28. I don't know! I'm sorry you have to deal with this though, I know it can be a serious pain in the ass. Good luck selling everything on ebay.

They're talking about the catalogue, I think.

I have the same problem with the stores. I find, if a shirt is LONG enough (rare), I can wear down to even an 18 (though they're 99% of the time too short). At LB, I can't fit in like...anything most of the time.

Friday
06-22-2008, 07:58 PM
I read something the other day that said what is currently a size 8 used to be a size 12 just 20 years ago. I guess everyone is doing it. :doh:

mpls_girl26
06-22-2008, 08:45 PM
I had the same problem. I looked at my measurements on the size chart and even ordered a size smaller and they were all huge! Very frustrating to spend $15 for shipping to just try stuff on. I suppose I don't have as much to comlain about because I didn't spend nearly as much as you.

BeaBea
06-23-2008, 06:23 PM
Hi folks

Bear in mind that some size charts give the actual measurements of the clothes themselves, and some give the measurements of the bodies that will fit into them. You might think these would be the same things but they're not...

A non stretch Shirt that measures 60" around the bust will probably look best on a body that measures 54-56". This is built into the clothing patterns and is known in the industry as 'ease.' Its the extra fabric you need so you can bend and stretch and raise your arms and not make the buttons gape open and, well, basically breathe.

As usual it would be helpful if retailers advertised which system of measurement they were using but few seem to think it matters.

Ruby - send me the details of what you have or list them here before you try Ebay. Anything thats too big for you might work for me :)

Tracey xx

cherylharrell
06-24-2008, 01:12 AM
It's worse for the Woman Within & Roamans catalogs. Their pullon pants 7 jeans fit good in my size. But not their button & zip fly stuff. It is too snug in my size & in the size that is big enough, it is too big. Arrgh...

AnnMarie
06-24-2008, 07:11 PM
Just to be clear, since there are different companies and we seem to be having a lot of confusion - overlap.

Ruby is talking about an order made from the NEW www.lanebryantcatalog.com, which is the "new" catalog site for lanebryant (owned by the same parent company as the brick and mortar stores, now... finally) - not at all affiliated with the OLD lanebryant catalog, which is now womanwithin.com

Then there is www.lanebryant.com - which is just the website for the brick and mortar stores clothing, but NOT super sizes, etc.

(Explanation of the sites and differences: ttp://www.lanebryantcatalog.com/pagebuilder/story)

Other sites, owned by same company (redcats group):
www.womanwithin.com (OLD lane bryant catalog)
www.roamans.com

Okay... so, 4 different retailers, and Ruby's issue was with her order from the Lane Bryant catalog website.

Ta-da! :)

indy500tchr
06-24-2008, 08:23 PM
Just to be clear, since there are different companies and we seem to be having a lot of confusion - overlap.

Ruby is talking about an order made from the NEW www.lanebryantcatalog.com, which is the "new" catalog site for lanebryant (owned by the same parent company as the brick and mortar stores, now... finally) - not at all affiliated with the OLD lanebryant catalog, which is now womanwithin.com

Then there is www.lanebryant.com - which is just the website for the brick and mortar stores clothing, but NOT super sizes, etc.

(Explanation of the sites and differences: ttp://www.lanebryantcatalog.com/pagebuilder/story)

Other sites, owned by same company (redcats group):
www.womanwithin.com (OLD lane bryant catalog)
www.roamans.com

Okay... so, 4 different retailers, and Ruby's issue was with her order from the Lane Bryant catalog website.

Ta-da! :)

For a second there I thought you were going to have to pull out the Tim Russert (God rest his soul) dry erase board and marker to explain that!

thatgirl08
07-07-2008, 12:02 PM
They're talking about the catalogue, I think.

I have the same problem with the stores. I find, if a shirt is LONG enough (rare), I can wear down to even an 18 (though they're 99% of the time too short). At LB, I can't fit in like...anything most of the time.

Oh, I didn't even know there was a catalogue! So does it have completely different stuff than the regular stores or just bigger sizes?

Tooz
07-07-2008, 12:03 PM
Oh, I didn't even know there was a catalogue! So does it have completely different stuff than the regular stores or just bigger sizes?

Completely different clothing.

MsGreenLantern
07-07-2008, 01:16 PM
I've had similiar issues. I buy shirts at Avenue and they're way too big. Layne Bryant I've found the right sizes in-store, but wrong sizing online. o.O maybe I'm imagining that part. Size charts just suck. I don't know why I continue to attempt online shopping honestly. :mad: