PDA

View Full Version : Should we have a writing competition?

1300 Class
10-30-2005, 01:58 AM
Dunno, maybe a few different catagories (with reward points as possible prizes perhaps?) and other stuff? Any thoughts?

fatlane
10-30-2005, 08:08 AM
What would be the criteria? Will it be totally freestyle, or is there a rubric for scoring? Who are the judges? Will we each be able to vote on stories? Will submissions be anonymous? Will there be counseling available for the losers?

1300 Class
10-30-2005, 01:36 PM
Well they are all important questions, but they question was more a generalised feeler in the inclusive rather than in the specific.
Possibilities:
What would be the criteria?
Minimum 500 words, max 4000 words.

Will it be totally freestyle, or is there a rubric for scoring?
Not totally freestyle divided up into BBW, BHM, Both, WG, XWG, Bath, Magical.

A) Say there are points for the actual story content, grammer and spelling (like there are some great stories by the spelling and grammer is bad). Say 10 points for the story, 10 points for grammer and spelling, 10 points for style and presentation, so that makes it out of 30. Best story wins.

OR

B) The Select Committee that will be set up will establish which submissions will be put in a poll to be voted on. (If necessary trimming it down). Thereby its a democratic proccess and the most popular story wins.

C) A combination of both, where stories are scored, but the winner is decided by the public.

Who are the judges?
The Select Committee has not been established yet.

Will we each be able to vote on stories?
If methods B or C are choosen yes.

Will submissions be anonymous?
Well in theory yes, but it defeats the purpose of the whole thing.

Will there be counseling available for the losers?
Yep. ;)

BTB
10-30-2005, 01:38 PM
since this is a forum I would the say the most responses by different people

fatlane
10-30-2005, 05:39 PM
... and no fair getting all your friends to gang up and vote for your story just because they're your friends. Judge the writing on its merits...

1300 Class
10-30-2005, 09:52 PM
Voting would be a in poll so it would effectivly be a secret ballot. So, its down to a committee (limited popularity) or the public (total popularity).

Shylla
10-31-2005, 12:45 AM
I'm totally for a writing competition. I would prefer having stories scored by judges for each category, then so many of the highest scoring stories are put to a public vote, and a winner is selected that way.

However the competition is executed, I'm eager to participate.

1300 Class
10-31-2005, 01:05 AM
I think a combination of both (C) would be the best option, and of course everyone is eager to get as many people involved in this little project.

largehipslover
10-31-2005, 01:19 AM
I think a combination of both (C) would be the best option, and of course everyone is eager to get as many people involved in this little project.

Thanks Lord for this interesting idea. I concur, (C) seems the best to me too. We could extend it in this alternative ways:
1. each "voter" can choose only one story among the selected ones
2. each "voter" can actually express a preference from 1 to 10 for every story
3. each "voter" can express more detailed preferences as previously indicated (1-10 points for the story, 1-10 points for grammar, 1-10 points for style)... more complicated (overkill) I guess.... well, just some thoughts...

fatlane
10-31-2005, 08:27 PM
OK, so where do we post the stories?

1300 Class
11-01-2005, 12:50 AM
In the stories section most likely. Put 'competition' at the end of the title of something, then we can whoever can do polls, to place a poll after a little while.

Shylla
11-01-2005, 03:05 PM
Any thoughts on a deadline?

1300 Class
11-01-2005, 03:47 PM
Whenever enough people enter I suppose.

fatlane
11-01-2005, 06:08 PM
OK, so I'll enter soon. Then if nobody else enters, I WIN!!!

1300 Class
11-01-2005, 08:40 PM
Well strictly speaking yes.

Jay West Coast
11-07-2005, 12:57 AM
Thanks Lord for this interesting idea. I concur, (C) seems the best to me too. We could extend it in this alternative ways:
1. each "voter" can choose only one story among the selected ones
2. each "voter" can actually express a preference from 1 to 10 for every story
3. each "voter" can express more detailed preferences as previously indicated (1-10 points for the story, 1-10 points for grammar, 1-10 points for style)... more complicated (overkill) I guess.... well, just some thoughts...

I like ideas 2 & 3. It sounds like overkill, but if you're going to read a whole story, it's reasonable to grade on plot/originality, style, and grammar. That way, the voting is less arbitrary.

We should wait until there are at least a couple stories entered. I say a minimum of 3 before the polls open, and 5 would be best. Is Thanksgiving too soon? Seems like a fairly important day in the FA calendar, one worthy of a WG story deadline....

This is a cool idea, I can't wait!

JWC

Shylla
11-07-2005, 10:52 PM
I'll be entering in the general category of BHM/FFA stories. What other categories are others interested in the competition going for, out of curiosity? I want to know what sorts of interests we'll have represented here.

coyote wild
11-08-2005, 12:38 PM
I would suggest a "Bath" category, but no one wants that....'cept me

heheh

fatlane
11-08-2005, 02:02 PM
Eww.

And I mean that in a very supportive way.

Jay West Coast
11-10-2005, 11:35 PM
Eww. And I mean that in a very supportive way.

Hahaha...thats about how I feel...
I vote to not disclude a good old-fashioned realistic weight gain story catagory. :eat2:

And is it possible for the Drone to make this thread into a sticky? 'Cuz it seems like it ought to be...lest it get lost amongst the annals of stories by the time the competition actually rolls around...

WG Story Drone
11-11-2005, 09:03 AM
And is it possible for the Drone to make this thread into a sticky? 'Cuz it seems like it ought to be...lest it get lost amongst the annals of stories by the time the competition actually rolls around...

It's a good idea, but . . .

actually, I'm not a moderator for this group, so I think I only have editing access to the stories I've been posting. Does Observer has moderator privileges?

WGSD