View Single Post
Old 02-11-2009, 07:30 PM   #22
olwen
Disco Bear

olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!

I'm surrounded by lesbian feminists at work all the time, and from what I've seen they are not very fat friendly to small bbws so I believe it if I hear they aren't especially friendly to ssbbws. When I try to talk about size acceptance issues as a political issue I'm sometimes met with quizzical stares.

My first time going to the NWSA (National Woman's Studies Association) conference last year was a revelation too. There was one panel on size acceptance out of hundreds and while I did see a few fat lesbians there, I didn't see any supersized ones. When I asked around about the SA panel a lot of the women didn't seem to know what i was talking about and I had to point out the description in the program. It was frustrating, and I was just somewhat angry at all the apathy for the issue. I could be generalizing here, but it seems odd to me that women who are very conscious about gender and body politics would be so hostile and apathetic to women of size, queer or no.
olwen is offline   Reply With Quote