View Single Post
Old 02-11-2009, 08:35 PM   #23
ashmamma84
Om Namah Shivayah

ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by olwen View Post
I'm surrounded by lesbian feminists at work all the time, and from what I've seen they are not very fat friendly to small bbws so I believe it if I hear they aren't especially friendly to ssbbws. When I try to talk about size acceptance issues as a political issue I'm sometimes met with quizzical stares.

My first time going to the NWSA (National Woman's Studies Association) conference last year was a revelation too. There was one panel on size acceptance out of hundreds and while I did see a few fat lesbians there, I didn't see any supersized ones. When I asked around about the SA panel a lot of the women didn't seem to know what i was talking about and I had to point out the description in the program. It was frustrating, and I was just somewhat angry at all the apathy for the issue. I could be generalizing here, but it seems odd to me that women who are very conscious about gender and body politics would be so hostile and apathetic to women of size, queer or no.
That's interesting. Maybe one's ethnicity has something to do with it as well. I know hella chubby and fat black lesbians...some even prefer to date a fatty as well. I will say though for me, honestly...my being fat takes a backseat to the discrimination of being lesbian AND black. Just how I look at things. I've never gotten flack for being fat so maybe that's why. However, I've been questioned about what it is that I do for a living since I happen to live in an area that is mostly white and I've recieved some stares when out and about with my masculine partner...so my experience is a tad different.