View Single Post
Old 04-21-2006, 01:13 PM   #16
crazygrad

crazygrad is a member of the 500 clubcrazygrad is a member of the 500 clubcrazygrad is a member of the 500 clubcrazygrad is a member of the 500 clubcrazygrad is a member of the 500 clubcrazygrad is a member of the 500 club

Oops, I missed a few of your questions.

I was in an exercise/nutrition/surgery prep class for over a year before I was approved for surgery, at which point I had another class for my surgeon. Though no actual amount of weight loss was specified, it was expected that I would lose some weight during my courses and I did- very small amount- on a 1200 cal/day diet and an hour of exercise/day.

As far as discomfort goes, not bad at all really. I have a back problem (one of the reasons I decided to have the surgery in the first place) that was exacerbated temporarily by the surgery. The lap method apparently requires a bolster under the back and the bolster put me in a terrible position. I had terrible back pain for about 2 months after the surgery when I tried to lay down, but my back pain while walking started getting better after about 3 weeks. At a month, I could walk farther and more comfortably than I had in years.

As smooth as my experience was, I definitely think one must proceed cautiously with surgery. This is a major procedure. It carries risks. It requires lifestyle changes. It is not appropriate for everyone. I made my decision after thinking about and doing research for 2 years. Then I had more than a year of classes ahead of me, so I think I had a good period of learning and thinking to really feel confidant about my decision. One woman in program died on the table and another had terrible problems for almost a year, though she's doing well now. Another friend had problems as well after surgery, but she didn't follow her post-op at all. Still, there were 2 people in my program who decided not to have the surgery who have since died from problems related to their weight. This is not to minimize the risks of surgery, but for some people, the risks of having diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart disease (among other problems) are just as high, or higher, as the risk of surgery. I had the surgery, and I don't regret it, but I don't consider myself a cheerleader either. The decision to have a major surgery that requires major changes in habits and diet is not a decision to be made quickly, lightly or just based on cosmetic concerns.
crazygrad is offline   Reply With Quote