View Single Post
Old 02-21-2009, 05:12 PM   #54
Sweet Tooth
Deep. W i d e.

Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Breakfast Cupcakes

Breakfast Cupcakes With Sausage and Apple
Makes 6 jumbo cupcakes; total time: about 1 hour.

For the cake:
1 cups all-purpose flour
cup cornmeal
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/8 tsp. kosher salt
cup plain nonfat yogurt or buttermilk [I used powdered buttermilk]
cup milk
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 egg white
1 lb. bulk breakfast sausage [I used turkey sausage]
1 Honeycrisp or Fuji apple, cored and thinly sliced

For the caramel:
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup heavy cream
cup maple syrup
2 tbsp. bourbon or rum (optional)
1 tsp. salt
[I just used jarred caramel.]

Preheat oven to 350. Coat cups of jumbo muffin tin with nonstick spray.

Combine flour, cornmeal, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Combine yogurt, milk, oil eggs, and egg white in another bowl. Set aside.

Brown sausage in a skillet over medium-high heat about 5 minutes. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.

Whisk brown sugar, cream, syrup, bourbon, and salt for caramel together in a skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often. Bring to boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes.

Stir sausage into flour mixture and add yogurt mixture. Stir just until combined; mixture will be slightly lumpy. Arrange apple slices in muffin cups. Divide caramel evenly between cups; top with rounded cup of batter.

Bake until toothpick inserted in a cupcake comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Let cupcakes cool briefly before turning out of muffin tin. [I didn't let them cool, so they stuck to the bottom of the pan. The ones I took out a little later were much prettier.]