View Single Post
Old 04-24-2006, 09:19 PM   #18
crazygrad

crazygrad is a member of the 500 clubcrazygrad is a member of the 500 clubcrazygrad is a member of the 500 clubcrazygrad is a member of the 500 clubcrazygrad is a member of the 500 clubcrazygrad is a member of the 500 club

Oh, at every appointment to 2 months I complained like crazy about my back! It was insane, I couldn't believe how bad it hurt when I tried to lay down. I learned it was from the bolster and would get better. It took 2 months. Thank G-d we have a recliner cause no way could I sleep in a bed. Given that that seems to be the biggest problem I've had, I consider myself pretty lucky.

I have been amazed at what some people want to know when they're researching WLS. Will still be able to eat whatever I want? What will I look like? I won't have to exercise, will I? If those are the questions you're asking, WLS is probably not for you. At least not at that moment.

Education is so important. Research is one thing, but going through classes I think is even more helpful. We had to set up a post-op plan for one month after surgery- and it had to be approved before the niutritionist would send us for pre-surgery consultation with the surgeon. We had tests, homework- so we had to think about the material we learned. Thanks to our classes, several people realised this wasn't for them, and opted out before they had a surgery they didn't want. We all complained about the length of our classes- over a year!!- but I think we all ended up happy that we felt very well prepared and armed with a plan for when we got home from the hospital.

I don't usually have much dumping but breads are horrible for me, and some junkfoods, which I avoided anyway. One of the reasons I chose surgery is that I had tried to lose weight with diet and exercise for over a decade and just gained weight. When my back started to get bad, I had so much trouble walking. I teach (I'm a grad student) at a very large school and I had to face the fact that I couldn't stand for an hour in front of a class with my back. And if I had to walk across campus, I'd show up at my classroom, dripping sweat, puffing and crunched over in pain- no way to lead a class and command respect. So I took the plunge so to speak. I can still have a regular Frapp if I only have about a quarter of it, which is about all I typically want of it anyway.

But I do miss bread...

Anyway, I'm tired. Best to ya too!
crazygrad is offline   Reply With Quote