View Single Post
Old 03-10-2009, 09:06 AM   #30
mergirl

mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestial Ceece View Post
Thanks for the link to this discussion - it is very interesting and NECESSARY. I especially like what I've quoted below, where BigBellySSBBW discusses the queer community and how different sizes are treated differently.

Not to knock organizations that exist to end discrimination against fat people, but I have noticed in different places - not just in the queer community but also the greater fat community - where SSBBW's are not as valued as regular old BBW's or smaller women (and men). I have friends/acquantainces who are small or regular BBW's (meaning chubby or not really big) who are valued more because of their size. I've seen it with my own eyes. I've been on the receiving end of rejection because of my size, and it feels like crap, especially when you're in a place where you are supposed to be accepted!

Luckily, a lot of these places are conscious and aware that this is happening, and people are able to discuss it either amongst themselves or in something like a workshop or caucus. While we might feel like we are left out, we can make ourselves visible - our voices heard. And we are. I believe this forum and people's willingness to speak up about their experiences, both positive and negative, are helping to create an awareness that we very much need in our culture.

That's all I have to say for now, but we should all keep this discussion going and moving forward. Lets find solutions if we can. I don't know how that is possible but I think talking about it is a great start.

FAT (supersized) LOVE!
Do you think that ssbbw's keep themselves seperate conciously or subconciously in the queer and Fat/fat community for some reason?
Do you think its a small minority of people who are less accepting of ssbbws but then the ssbbw will feel like shit because of a few bad experiences?
It is an interesting debate. I love ssbbws and bbws alike and can see no reason why one group should feel more or less accepted over the other (especially in a group geared towards size acceptance).
Do you have specific experiences where you know you were being treated differently because you are a ssbbw as opposed to a plain ole bbw? It seems here on dims that i encounter more Fa's who like ssbbws.. though thats something i could be wrong about.