View Single Post
Old 05-20-2010, 05:07 AM   #58
ThatFatGirl
Why am I still here?

ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Cold Sesame Noodles

6 oz chow mein noodles or spaghetti
1/3 c reduced-fat smooth peanut butter **
1/3 c water
3 T ketchup
2 T hoisin sauce
2 T reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 T packed light brown sugar
1 T rice vinegar
1 t dark sesame oil
2 scallions, chopped

1. Cook the noodles according to package directions, rinse with cold water and set aside.

2. In a small saucepan, combine all the ingredients except for the scallions and the noodles and bring to a boil on medium high heat. Stir constantly until well mixed. Remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes.

3. Toss sauce with noodles and sprinkle with scallions.

Per Serving (1/3 C); 182 cal, 5 g fat, 1 g sat fat, 0 g trans fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 349 mg sodium, 29 g carbs, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein, 12 mg calcium

** I got this recipe off another message board. Not sure of it's origin, but it might be a Weight Watchers recipe, hence the reduced fat peanut butter. You can probably use regular peanut butter without changing up anything else.

The dish was wonderful as is, but if you want it spicy, you could add pinch of red pepper flakes or hot chili oil.

Thai Summer Rolls (a.k.a. Shrimp Spring Rolls)

Soak 6 Thai rice paper wrappers (available in the Asian aisle of most supermarkets) in warm water until soft, about 10 seconds. Lay them flat on your work surface and top each with 1 large cooked cocktail shrimp (about 1 ounce), 2 cucumber slices, 2 tablespoons shredded carrot, 1 tablespoon minced scallion (green part only), and 1/2 teaspoon hoisin sauce. Roll to seal in the filling; serve immediately or wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.

I used smaller shrimp the last two times I made these and used 2-3 shrimp in each roll depending on their size. I also assembled them one at a time due to lack of workspace. When they're wet, the rice paper wrapper tries to stick to itself which is great when you're wrapping, but when you're trying to spread it out to top them it gets a little tricky.

Also, I used rice flour pancakes by Blue Dragon for the wraps.

Fleeting Fancies
ThatFatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote