View Single Post
Old 02-06-2011, 05:16 PM   #49
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Chili is an excellent low-carb food as long as you don't add any macaroni to it. You can easily make chili vegetarian, just don't overly rely on beans. I like using eggplant for texture in stuff.

I would also say that gumbo, made with brown or wild rice, is not bad either. I use wild rice whenever I can simply because I like the flavor and texture better. Both chili and gumbo can be bulk-cooked and frozen for taking to work as leftovers. I do that a lot during the winter. Or you could omit the rice but I don't know for sure being a Northerner...isn't rice basically a requirement for gumbo?

Also here are some other ideas:

Bean soup (there must be some legumes that are lower in carbs than others...lentils perhaps?)

Chicken soup. Just make sure to buy lean chicken. I <3 Julia Child's chicken stock recipe. Make that, save the broth and chicken and some of the veggies, and cut up the chicken.

Also here:

http://www.all4naturalhealth.com/low...food-list.html

They list barley as one of the lowest carbs on the GI, so you could do a veggie/barley soup also.

Fish they say is supposed to have healthy fats. I don't know about all the hype, but I do like salmon and tuna.

Egg whites are supposed to be healthier than egg yolk. Again I don't know about all the healthy food hype as they change everything every so often anyway. But eggs are protein and not carbs, so there you go.

Last edited by EMH1701; 02-06-2011 at 05:21 PM.
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote