View Single Post
Old 02-07-2011, 04:41 PM   #61
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by olwen View Post
Traditionally, gumbo starts with a roux (how dark it is varies. I like it golden brown), then you add onion, peppers, celery, okra, tomatoes and spices, then the protein and you eat it over rice, and sprinkle a bit of gumbo file on top. You can make it thick without the roux if you saute the okra in butter until it turns to mush before you add anything else.

I'd love to see the recipe. Can you post a link?
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/Low-C...o-m174138.aspx

It was similar to this except I used a variety of seafood and no peanut oil. I also had to use frozen okra, we don't get the fresh stuff in MN. I did use a lot of shrimp, and added some dried red peppers, a creole seasoning mix, and Frank's hot sauce. I also used wild rice...I love wild rice. IIRC, it's supposedly lower on the GI too.

I did try making roux for my second ever batch of gumbo. Had to Google how to make roux. Used whole wheat flour since that was all I had on hand. Turned out ok but I had to add some olive oil so it didn't clump with the butter.

Last edited by EMH1701; 02-07-2011 at 04:46 PM.
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote