View Single Post
Old 02-07-2011, 05:07 PM   #62
olwen
Disco Bear

olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMH1701 View Post
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/Low-C...o-m174138.aspx

It was similar to this except I used a variety of seafood and no peanut oil. I also had to use frozen okra, we don't get the fresh stuff in MN. I did use a lot of shrimp, and added some dried red peppers, a creole seasoning mix, and Frank's hot sauce. I also used wild rice...I love wild rice. IIRC, it's supposedly lower on the GI too.

I did try making roux for my second ever batch of gumbo. Had to Google how to make roux. Used whole wheat flour since that was all I had on hand. Turned out ok but I had to add some olive oil so it didn't clump with the butter.
You did what?!? It is okay if it clumps a little bit. You need equal parts butter to equal parts flour. Or equal parts flour to equal parts oil. There is never a need to mix butter with oil. You just have to stir it continuously and watch it carefully so it doesn't burn. The second it's the color you want, add some veggies to it to make it stop turning dark. But using a roux will not give you a low carb gumbo. And a low carb gumbo wouldn't have a dark brown color since there is no roux.

I've never had gumbo that mixed seafood with other meats. Least, that's not the way we do it in my family. My mother would be squicked out by that recipe. We usually do sausage (kielbasa or boudin) with chicken, OR shrimp, oysters and crabs together. I suppose one could add whatever one wanted to it.
olwen is offline   Reply With Quote