Thread: Dating and PCOS
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2011, 09:54 PM   #7
ThatFatGirl
Why am I still here?

ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Malami, have you had any treatment yet since being diagnosed with PCOS? Now that you have insurance, I'd get to a doctor as soon as possible and get started on some of the medications that help get PCOS symptoms in check. I second what Isa said about Spironolactone. This works wonders on some people, especially when combined with birth control pills and Metformin. This has been my course of treatment for years and the change in body hair especially has been extraordinary, it is virtually non-existent now (my face is another issue, but even that has improved). I know you mentioned in your post you're looking for a doctor now. I wouldn't delay. This list isn't updated much, but you might want to see if there's a "fat friendly" doctor in your area that participates in your insurance program. I'd look for a gynecologist first. Be sure they don't try to take a passive or even dismissive approach towards your treatment (suggesting weight loss as the only way to resolve PCOS issues) and discuss the medications I mentioned if they don't bring them up first. Let them know how PCOS symptoms have impacted your life and be insistent if you need to be. They might suggest you see an endocrinologist. I can't say much personally about that as my experience was not that great, but I've heard from others who've found them helpful.

As for your intimacy fears, I can relate! First, you're not some freak (and you definitely will not be alone forever). I think you will find our problems are more common than we realize and more guys who like big girls have encountered women with PCOS or hormone imbalances in their past than we might guess. I have much more to say on this, but I'm running out of time and steam tonight (the hubby has already fallen asleep on the couch and I need to get him to bed).

I'm really curious about your treatment for PCOS so far to date though if you care to share.

Fleeting Fancies
ThatFatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote