View Single Post
Old 06-13-2011, 06:35 AM   #52
Tracyarts

Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!

I had a bunch of hot peppers (the green are jalapenos, the red are serranos) ready to pick in the garden, so I made some hot stuff in a jar.

I sliced up some carrots and the hot peppers, mixed them together, and packed them into jars. Then I boiled up a basic brine (half water and half white vinegar, with a little salt and a tiny bit of sugar) with thinly sliced onion, sliced garlic cloves, thyme, oregano, halved bay leaves, coriander seeds, and mixed peppercorns. When the onions were cooked and the brine was all flavorful, I took it off the stove and filled the jars. Each jar got a piece of bay leaf tucked down into it, along with some onions on top, then filled with the herb brine. I water bath canned them but since the carrots were raw they're not pantry safe, and have to go in the fridge. Which is fine, they will not last long in my house! I like to munch on the carrot slices, and sprinkle the vinegar onto whatever I want to add some serious heat to. The onion slices are awesome too, and can be used as a condiment as well. I'm not so much a fan of the peppers themselves, but that's okay my husband will eat every last one of them because he's a total chili-head

Tracy