View Single Post
Old 09-04-2011, 10:10 PM   #71
Moongirl75

Moongirl75 can now change their title
Default Stuffed Peppers

I've never written this recipe down before, but someone asked on the Everyday Food Pics thread so I will do my best.

Ingredients:
1 lb Italian sausage (Pork or Turkey work equally well)
3 red bell peppers
8 oz orzo pasta
4 cups chicken stock
1 Zucchini, grated
1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 to 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 bunch Italian flat leaf parsley
Salt
Pepper

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees f.

In a medium pot, bring the chicken stock to a boil. Add the orzo and cook for 8 minutes. Remove the orzo from the stock with a strainer, reserving the stock for later use. Put the orzo in a large bowl.

In a saute pan, cook the sausage until nicely browned and crumbly. Remove from pan and toss with the orzo. Add the onions to the pan, cook for a few minutes over a medium heat. When they begin to get translucent, add the chopped garlic, cook for another minute then add the grated zucchini. Season with salt and pepper. Cook the onion, garlic and zucchini until most of the moisture has cooked off.

Add the onion and zucchini mixture to the bowl with the orzo and sausage. Add the grated Parmesan. Chop the parsley and add to the mixture. Stir to combine. Taste for seasoning, add salt and pepper if needed.

To prep the peppers, cut in half length wise. Remove the seeds and ribs (white stuff) from each half. Place in a large baking dish. Stuff each pepper half with the mixture. I press it in firmly. Pour the remaining chicken stock that you cooked the pasta in into the baking dish under the pepper halves.

Once the peppers are all stuffed and in the baking dish with the stock, cover the dish with foil and bake in the oven, covered, for 40 minutes. Remove the dish from the oven, take off the foil and sprinkle with mozzarella. Put back in the oven and bake uncovered for 15 more minutes, until the cheese browns a little. Remove from the oven, let cool a little and serve. The broth in the bottom of the dish thickens and makes a nice sauce.

If you have extra filling, put it in a ramekin and top it with some cheese and bake the last 15 minutes with the peppers. Nice to have if you have someone who is crazy enough to not like red peppers aka my brother in law.
Moongirl75 is offline   Reply With Quote