View Single Post
Old 12-04-2011, 02:56 PM   #20
Ruby Ripples
Dis Member

Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubrluvr View Post
I've been thinking about this a lot. I've noticed that the "geek" factor is indeed part of FA-dom. When I say "geek" I don't necessarily mean technical/scientific aptitude, but that non-conformist, misfit, outcast quality. Another aspect is "obsessive" traits that are often associated with Asperger's.

Now, I have problems with Asperger's being labeled some kind of abnormality. I think that it is simply a "difference" much like eye, skin or hair color. Nevertheless, the psychological community seems to have done a wonderful job labeling those with varying personality traits. Aspies seem to be less concerned about how other people feel about them. There are those (I'll label them as suffering from "Asshole Syndrome") who are obsessed about the image the present and their social standing. They're manipulative, obsessed with things like office politics and pop culture. They're the ultimate conformists. Unfortunately, society seems to reward that behavior and these people tend to rise to positions of power, wealth and influence.

But I digress...

So what say you? Are those who are labeled as "Asperger's" more likely to be FAs? I tend to believe so. Many FA's I know have other obsessions and are often considered experts in their fields. They have passions outside of that which is big and jiggly and arousing.

Looking forward to comments.
Some years ago I noticed the FA/autism correlation and did a thread about it either on here or Fantasy Feeder, I can't find the thread though. I have actually discussed the topic with several FAs who have Asperger's. One of them put forward the theory that his mind is always racing and chaotic, an exhausting thing, then he sees a fat girl and his brain suddenly is becalmed. He said that all the curves and dimensions seem to appeal to his mathematical mind and seem to keep his attention, stopping his mind racing. Maybe that's just him though, i don't know! But yes, I think there may well be some correlation. Though the people saying that Asperger people are just less likely to keep it secret have a very good point too. I still think though that it's more than that. About two years ago I actually mentioned this to a friend in FF chat, and up piped no less than FOUR guys who all then said that they have Asperger's. This was in a room of about 20 people, and we had a laugh about it.
Ruby Ripples is offline   Reply With Quote