View Single Post
Old 12-05-2011, 09:37 AM   #34
LillyBBBW
Wig Snatcher

LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubrluvr View Post
I've been thinking about this a lot. I've noticed that the "geek" factor is indeed part of FA-dom. When I say "geek" I don't necessarily mean technical/scientific aptitude, but that non-conformist, misfit, outcast quality. Another aspect is "obsessive" traits that are often associated with Asperger's.

Now, I have problems with Asperger's being labeled some kind of abnormality. I think that it is simply a "difference" much like eye, skin or hair color. Nevertheless, the psychological community seems to have done a wonderful job labeling those with varying personality traits. Aspies seem to be less concerned about how other people feel about them. There are those (I'll label them as suffering from "Asshole Syndrome") who are obsessed about the image the present and their social standing. They're manipulative, obsessed with things like office politics and pop culture. They're the ultimate conformists. Unfortunately, society seems to reward that behavior and these people tend to rise to positions of power, wealth and influence.

But I digress...

So what say you? Are those who are labeled as "Asperger's" more likely to be FAs? I tend to believe so. Many FA's I know have other obsessions and are often considered experts in their fields. They have passions outside of that which is big and jiggly and arousing.

Looking forward to comments.
I must say, a high percentage of the people I've dated are people with varying degrees of aspergers. I'd be inclined to say that the reasons are actually opposite of what you describe. People with aspergers tend to be much more direct and clear as to their thoughts and intentions which I really respond to rather than the usual flirtations that most peopel employ. Subtle signals are virtually undetectable to me. While I agree with most of what you've said about people with aspies, there is one aspect of aspies that I find distinctly unpleasant. There is always an area in which a person with Aspergers percieves themselves to be completely above and beyond common rules. If s/he feels s/he has had enough training and is smarter than all the other students s/he will simply stop progressing through the program even though finishing is required by law to be licensed. If s/he's read everythign there is to read about brain surgery, s/he will consider herself an expert though s/he is not licensed or approved to practice. Ceremony and structural formality are meaningless to them only within the particular area in which they feel superior to everyone else. Without fail, each person with aspergers I've met had an area in their conciousness that they simply could not subject to review or critique no matter how well reasoned the argument in favor. It's like an achilles heel.

"...If the only pain you recognize as valid is your own, of course you'll have trouble identifying it when you see it in other people. That's the trouble with narcissism. It makes you really inadequate and boring."

Have you hugged a fat girl today?

@~;~~
LillyBBBW is offline   Reply With Quote