View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013, 10:00 PM   #4
1love_emily
COLLEGE

1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I feel like posting in this thread because it is so relevant to my life right now.

The other day in one of my classes, we had an entire lesson about how appearances make a HUGE different in the music industry (even the classical/orchestral world). There were statistics about the weight of current opera singers and their employability. Considering a common colloquialism "The show's not over until the fat lady sings" is shows the importance of larger woman in main roles in opera, the presentation (and the presentator) was very fat phobic and encouraging of self hate. It drove me crazy.

I'm lucky I'm not a singer. I'm a fat trombone player who, if/when I audition for a symphony position, will be in a mostly blind audition.

ANYWAYS after that lecture a lot of the girls in the school of music went on a 7 day "cleanse" (crash diet) and got sick. It drove me bonkers because they were being fed this fatphobic BS and they believed it.
UGH
/end rant

Love, Emily
1love_emily is offline   Reply With Quote