View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013, 05:12 PM   #9
PeanutButterfly

PeanutButterfly never has a post go unnoticedPeanutButterfly never has a post go unnoticedPeanutButterfly never has a post go unnoticedPeanutButterfly never has a post go unnoticedPeanutButterfly never has a post go unnoticedPeanutButterfly never has a post go unnoticedPeanutButterfly never has a post go unnoticed

I feel this way too, quite a bit. I have several fat friends but they are not supportive of the size acceptance movement. I tried to talk to one about it a long time ago and she was offended that I thought she was fat enough to benefit from it (even though she is the same size as me and constantly complains about her weight). I really thought she would find it refreshing that a whole new world existed where she could be comfortable with herself.

The other one is a new friend who I've never tried to discuss fat acceptance with because she had a meltdown when I suggested she try looking at the plus size sections when she needed a dress and couldn't find one that fit. The other day she showed me a picture of someone who lost like 100 lbs on facebook and said "See, we could do it!" I just ignored her but I wanted to be like, "Um, I never told you I wanted to lose weight..." She just assumes that every fat person must hate themselves as much as she does. With people like these two there really is not point of exposing the wonderful side to fat acceptance. It's like talking to the wall.

I have many other thin friends but, while they love me, I don't think they'd ever understand my FA-ness. Some of them might be understanding of the whole "I want to be treated as a human being and I'm ok with myself the way I am" aspect of size acceptance but I think they'd still see it as a "Juli just can't stick to a diet" instead of a conscious choice. But add in the fact that fat turns me on and forget about it. I've completely lost them. Maybe if I had really progressive friends but until that day comes I don't see myself discussing size acceptance or fat admiration with the current ones.

Besides the fact that I really like to talk about deep societal issues with my friends (that wasn't sarcasm, I really do) I would like to have shopping buddies like other people here described. I would like to have people to go into the plus size stores with and understand my dilemma with boots not fitting over my calves and my outrage that I'm forced to shop for jeans online. I would love to be able to talk about fat sex with my friends and not have to keep that aspect of my relationship a secret. I mean I love my friends, its not the end of the world, but it would be nice. I guess thats what I have Dims for

Last edited by PeanutButterfly; 03-19-2013 at 05:15 PM.
PeanutButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote