View Single Post
Old 05-17-2013, 12:12 PM   #52
Amaranthine
Adamant Anti-Nihilist

Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!

Here's something I've been thinking a lot about lately: the nature of personality. As in, some people seem far more static and others seem more dynamic. Clearly, a lot of people enjoy associating with certain labels and traits. Belonging to different groups and schools of thought appeals to them and helps to define them as a person, and that stands out no matter who they're interacting with. They've found a core way of interacting that they enjoy.

But what about the more dynamic people? I was having a conversation with a friend last night and they were discussing how they feel somewhat different depending on who they're interacting with. I realized I'm very much in the same camp. But I don't find it disingenuous. Rather, different people bring out different elements of myself and I can meld to that without feeling untrue to myself. I have to wonder if that seems less legitimate to people, if they realized that was the case.

And as my friend pointed out, what does that mean for identity when you're alone? Surely there's some concrete labels and associations for everyone...but a personality has a distinctive feeling to it, does it not? When you're interacting a certain way, it has a certain qualitative feeling to it. In fact, to me, it's that feeling that is usually the most alluring thing about a person. It's so impossible to explain, but I do enjoy that element of mysteriousness around qualia.
Amaranthine is offline   Reply With Quote