View Single Post
Old 05-18-2013, 01:31 AM   #66
Amaranthine
Adamant Anti-Nihilist

Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopytheone View Post
Perhaps you should try talking in full sentences because then maybe I'd be able to understand what point you were trying to make. No, being shallow is not a bad thing. But not being shallow is a good thing. In the same way that having a mental illness isn't a bad thing. But not having a mental illness is a good thing, both for that person and likely for ease of relationships.
Heh, this might be nit-picky, but isn't mental illness bad by definition? At least from the perspective of the person with it, I'd say it's most certainly negative. Schizophrenia, depression, OCD. I believe they're all bad for the person with them, and imagine they would agree.

I suppose it's more of a question whether it's bad for a potential romantic partner. I have a feeling that my input here might be taken rather badly. But if it's untreated, I'm going to say it's definitely bad. Knowing the symptoms of schizophrenia and knowing people with the disease, would untreated schizophrenia make me question dating a person? Yes. Similarly, I HAVE dated people with depression. And is it bad? Honestly, yes. Not that I didn't love them and try my damnedest to be supportive and understanding. But I think it's just a fact that something like that will likely impact a relationship at some point.

Now, if someone is actively trying to manage it, should you not date them? Of course not. Even if they're not really seeking treatment, a relationship can still be feasible, sure. But I find it difficult to view it as merely neutral. With every relationship there's a set of flaws you're going to have to accept...and I think mental illness can be one of them. And I'm not saying it's anyone's fault or that someone with a mental illness should be viewed negatively or as bad. Certainly not. But characterizing mental illness itself as bad is totally different from that.

That was probably excessive. But 4:30 and energy drinks are a bad combination...so really, that's just my over-energetic musings.
Amaranthine is offline   Reply With Quote