View Single Post
Old 05-18-2013, 02:07 AM   #69
loopytheone
Administrator

loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaranthine View Post
Heh, this might be nit-picky, but isn't mental illness bad by definition? At least from the perspective of the person with it, I'd say it's most certainly negative. Schizophrenia, depression, OCD. I believe they're all bad for the person with them, and imagine they would agree.

I suppose it's more of a question whether it's bad for a potential romantic partner. I have a feeling that my input here might be taken rather badly. But if it's untreated, I'm going to say it's definitely bad. Knowing the symptoms of schizophrenia and knowing people with the disease, would untreated schizophrenia make me question dating a person? Yes. Similarly, I HAVE dated people with depression. And is it bad? Honestly, yes. Not that I didn't love them and try my damnedest to be supportive and understanding. But I think it's just a fact that something like that will likely impact a relationship at some point.

Now, if someone is actively trying to manage it, should you not date them? Of course not. Even if they're not really seeking treatment, a relationship can still be feasible, sure. But I find it difficult to view it as merely neutral. With every relationship there's a set of flaws you're going to have to accept...and I think mental illness can be one of them. And I'm not saying it's anyone's fault or that someone with a mental illness should be viewed negatively or as bad. Certainly not. But characterizing mental illness itself as bad is totally different from that.

That was probably excessive. But 4:30 and energy drinks are a bad combination...so really, that's just my over-energetic musings.
Well as somebody with a personality disorder, an anxiety disorder and severe recurrent depression who is dating somebody with similar problems, would I say it is a bad thing? No. Because those aspects are part of who we are as a person. They can be treated, they can be managed but these things always affect the way you think underneath and I don't think that is a bad thing. I think it is a neutral thing. It makes you different from a lot of people but not worse than them. I suppose what I am trying to say is that mental illness is a painful thing to go through and it will need constant treating and care as with any chronic illness. But in the same way that I wouldn't say being in a wheelchair is bad, I don't think mental illness is either. I agree that it is easier on a relationship to be with a person who is not mentally ill, hence me saying that not being mentally ill is a good thing. I get the feeling I am rambling now and not explaining myself very well so i am going to be quiet now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearHug2013 View Post
It might've simply been a bad example on her part but the original point is still valid.
Shallowness itself is not bad, but when it's someone's sole criteria for there romantic life..there not doing themselves any favors.
Yes, this! I was trying to think of an example and that was all that my early morning brain could come up with unfortunately! I don't think being shallow is something a person can change about themselves and I don't think it is a bad thing. But it is a good thing to look beneath the surface of people and find out how awesome they are.
loopytheone is offline   Reply With Quote