Thread: confessions
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2014, 06:15 PM   #1670
lille

lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostEater View Post
Sorry, I thought CBT was a catch-all term for therapy in general. Show's what I know.

I feel like a jackass spouting off nonsense. Sorry.

Don't feel bad, there's a lot of confusion and misinformation floating around about therapy. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is a specific form of therapy that focuses on thought and feelings (the cognitive part) and how they then affect our actions (the behavioral part). It is widely used and is often times highly effective. It is highly structured and often involves homework.

There are however, hundreds of different approaches to therapy, some more well known than others. Just as an example, someone like Loopy who doesn't mesh well with CBT, may prefer a more Rogerian approach which focuses on unconditional positive regard and very much about creating a therapeutic alliance. (obviously I don't know Loopy that well, I'm just using her as an example).

Finding a therapist that you click with on a personal and theoretical level can sometimes take a few tries and it is extremely important to talk to your therapist about what you do and don't like about their approach.

Sorry for the rambling, I just spent two hours talking about my program at my school's open house so I'm on a bit of a roll.
lille is offline   Reply With Quote