Thread: FA Frustrations
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2015, 02:00 PM   #7
choudhury

choudhury carries a lot of weight on this boardchoudhury carries a lot of weight on this boardchoudhury carries a lot of weight on this boardchoudhury carries a lot of weight on this boardchoudhury carries a lot of weight on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by lille View Post
Along with self esteem, you need to factor in the fact that fat women are told they cannot wear the same fashionable things as thinner women, and that their choices are much more limited because fewer stores sell fashionable clothing in plus sizes. And some of the places that sell plus sizes just sell larger versions of smaller clothes, instead of designing things meant to fit and flatter larger bodies. Even if they want to dress well, it's harder than it would be for a thinner woman.
That's a good point. And I've never understood this. If 1/3 of the population is overweight, that is a huge market (excuse the pun). Why don't retailers supply nice clothes to that under-served demographic? It seems like they're leaving profits on the table for no reason other than fat-phobia.

The flip side of this is that you do see BBWs now and then presenting themselves very stylishly. I was knocked out a little while ago by a twentysomething BBW in a bookstore who was wearing a really stylin' fall jacket and scarf and just looked gorgeous. So, some BBWs do find ways to present themselves attractively. I still think a disproportionate number prefer to take the "what's the use?" approach, and - from the "FA frustration" standpoint - that's really too bad.
choudhury is offline   Reply With Quote