Thread: FA Frustrations
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2015, 01:54 AM   #11
olwen
Disco Bear

olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by choudhury View Post
That's a good point. And I've never understood this. If 1/3 of the population is overweight, that is a huge market (excuse the pun). Why don't retailers supply nice clothes to that under-served demographic? It seems like they're leaving profits on the table for no reason other than fat-phobia.

The flip side of this is that you do see BBWs now and then presenting themselves very stylishly. I was knocked out a little while ago by a twentysomething BBW in a bookstore who was wearing a really stylin' fall jacket and scarf and just looked gorgeous. So, some BBWs do find ways to present themselves attractively. I still think a disproportionate number prefer to take the "what's the use?" approach, and - from the "FA frustration" standpoint - that's really too bad.
There is a whole fatshion world out there where fat girls have to go out of our way to find awesome clothes. But that's just it. We have to go out of our way. Nice fashionable clothes have to be curated like museum pieces because they are so hard to find. Not every girl (even skinny ones) is into fashion to begin with. Some girls are girly girls and some prefer to dress more masculine and some like a mix of both.

Clothing manufactures cite the expense to make larger sizes as the reason they don't offer them. Some bullshit about having to buy new sets of equipment and new patterns, and new fit models, not just more fabric as cost prohibitive. There was recently a petition going around to old navy because a woman noticed the men's plus size pants cost the same as straight sizes but that women's plus size pants cost twice as much even tho the sizes for plus size men and women were comparable. Old Navy said the cost was higher for plus size women's clothes because of the cost of production was higher for reasons I stated above. So the kinds of clothes we'd like to wear often just don't exist, or if they do they cost too much. So we end up wearing what fits and what is affordable. Because fashion rules dictate that fat girls should only wear certain kinds of clothes the choices are sometimes drab. A girl cannot live in poly-cotton blends alone.

Some fat girls do prefer comfort over style. Some days I wear super cute dresses and some days I wear a tshirt and a pair of jeans. I really hope on the days I'm wearing a tshirt and jeans that dudes don't think I'm not trying, cause on those days I'm really not thinking about what a dude is going to think. I'm just thinking that I'd really like to wear a doctor who tshirt and a pair of jeans with my addidas that day cause I feel like it.
olwen is offline   Reply With Quote