Thread: FA Frustrations
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2015, 04:01 AM   #30
loopytheone
Administrator

loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choudhury View Post
I have two thoughts about this, though...first of all, 'comfort' is as much about what we're used to as something intrinsic to a piece of clothing or style of self-presentation. Often people describe dressing down as 'comfortable' for this reason, rather than because there is something physically uncomfortable about wearing more polished clothes (although I'll admit this isn't true of high heels, say). But 'comfortable' becomes a less convincing rationale (to the extent that a rationale is needed) when it's just rooted in the fact that I feel weird when I dress in a stylin' way, because I'm not used to it. Lots of things feel weird when we're not used to them, but it doesn't follow that we're better off avoiding them because of that.
Whilst I do understand what you are saying I don't think you fully understand how uncomfortable certain clothes can be for other people, especially BBW. For a start, I was talking about physical comfort rather than psychological comfort, though I admit I didn't make that clear.

For me personally, any type of trousers with a button at the front are physically painful. So I don't wear jeans and haven't in years. Same with a belt. I don't know how big you are so I don't know if this is something you would be familiar with, but when you have a belly and you sit down, your belly will spill over the belt/button and it will dig painfully into the underside of your stomach. I have had bruises from buttons when I sit down like that, even if the waistband is loose standing up. I also don't and wont wear trousers/skirts that don't have an elastic waistband (again, when you sit down the material is pulled backwards to accommodate your rear and so cuts your stomach in half) or that fasten around the waist rather than the hips, as my stomach is extremely sensitive and any kind of pressure there is physically painful to me.

I also don't wear bras all the time as the sides of them cause me bruising and sores. And I've not been able to wear a button up blouse of any kind since I was a teenager as my size 20 chest and size 14 waist make shirts either expose my breasts or look like some sort of tent. As for shoes, I have inflamed tendons in my feet and need the added support that trainers give.

For the record, I wear dresses, skirts, boots etc quite regularly. But I don't think that a lot of people understand that when they expect somebody who is bigger to be 'fashionable' or wear a certain type of clothing, they are often asking them to wear something that is physically painful for them. And I don't think it is fair to judge somebody negatively because they don't want to be in pain. And comfortable clothes can be 'stylish', as you put it. I like to think I have a very keen aesthetic taste. But you wont see me in smart trousers and a blouse because those are painful or impractical for me.

Not that I am saying you are wrong to have a preference, not at all. You keep on looking after those stylish ladies, I'm sure they are very beautiful!
loopytheone is offline   Reply With Quote