View Single Post
Old 07-21-2015, 01:28 PM   #4
loopytheone
Administrator

loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.

First off, hi there, I'm glad you had the courage to post about something that is scaring you so much and I know you must be really intelligent as well as determined and brave. And you have my respect for that. Congrats for getting into med school as well, that must have been hard.

I can understand you being nervous but I honestly don't think being near your 40s is old at all. My mother was older than that when she did her degree and there were people on my course that were mature students as well. And with a difficult degree like medicine, I am almost certain that you will not be the only mature student there. And even if you find yourself in a class with only younger people, just remember that they are people too and there is nothing to fear from their age.

As for your size, I would doubt you will big the biggest person on the course and there will definitely be other people who are not thin. I honestly don't expect that the reaction to your size would be any different there to how it is in every day life; I can't say nobody will mention it because some people are jerks but you seem to know how to deal with them in general. Medical professionals are valued for their intelligence and compassion, not for the way they look or how well they uphold the virtues of a 'healthy lifestyle'. Whether or not you exercise enough is irrelevant to your skills as a medical professional; you don't need to follow your own advice for it to be good advice. I know the feeling personally, as I'm a fat biologist who often ends up giving advice on healthy lifestyles and such. Your personal decisions regarding your life and your body don't invalidate your skills and your intelligence.

For what it is worth, one of the best nurses in my local practise is a lady who is around 450 lbs and is kind, compassionate and very skilled at her work. I have no doubt that you will do absolutely great.
loopytheone is offline   Reply With Quote