View Single Post
Old 07-23-2015, 06:08 PM   #8
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!

I've been working in medicine for over a decade. You really don't have much to worry about. Most of the people in medicine have been trained to be non-judgmental, because shaming is counter-productive. If they have not taken it to heart they are assholes, and yes some are. The truth is though most who are or want to be doctors are pretty good folks who genuinely like people and want to help them, except surgeons. Surgeons are douchebags. So are many cardiologists. If you really are worried about it go into psychiatry, if it is just your weight that will make you the most normal person in the department. Those people frackin are nuts.

You will likely occasionally have to endure "the talk" from people who just want to tell you it's unhealthy and they worry about you... Nod and thank them. I've gotten this several times and most of the times I liked that the person cared enough to go through the discomfort of it.

You may have a harder time enduring some of the rough patches during residency emergency shifts and long periods of staying awake. Caffeinate make sure you get decent sleep, you will be ok. The only serious thing that would bar you from certain areas of medicine would be if you were too big to wear personal protective equipment, but at 220 you are nowhere near that being a concern. Good luck!