View Single Post
Old 08-25-2015, 01:04 AM   #63
ODFFA
Ainsi sera...

ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
It could have been worse. I learned the hard way when, in high school French II, I asked Mme. Attaway (my teacher):

Porquoi est-qu'on dit "j'ai chaud", et pas "je suis chaud"?

Which is grammatically correct, sure, but means:

Why does one say "I have heat" (I am hot) and not "I am hot" (I am horny)?

Mme. batted her eyes playfully at me just long enough for me to realize what had just come out of my mouth...

Ah le francais! So many glorious little Freudian slips to be made. Just last week, too, we were warned about not confusing "une exposition (d'art)" with "une exhibition;" as in, "this weekend? Oh, I'll just be going to the museum to watch people take off their clothes." *Culturedly tosses hair over shoulder*

No one would bat an eye if you said "art exhibition" in english, but in french, you'll soon be left wondering why your reputation has taken such a sudden dive.... or increased so vastly, depending on the crowd