View Single Post
Old 12-17-2015, 10:02 PM   #25
Ho Ho Tai

Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Charlene Smith, Nurse Extraordinaire

I don't know why it took so long for me to post to this wonderful thread. I think I was intimidated by all the fine entries.

I sent this material out to friends in October. Now I share it with you. Note that the article has a link to a slide show of Charlene.

My earlier message follows:

Friends -

We have been buying spices from Penzey's for many years, along with their catalog. They originated in Wisconsin and now have outlets in many midwest localities. We always enjoy the themed stories, usually about and written by what an old friend used to call "Heart People" (bless her soul).

I copied this story from the current catalog. As a courtesy to Penzey's, I am leaving all the links on that page intact.

Bill Penzey has an editorial piece in this issue, also about Charlene. I can't access it on their website but am copying out a comment here:

"As a member of the Oneida Nation, she reminds us that "In the Indian way, every day is Thanksgiving." For her, the idea of giving thanks is about so much more than just speaking words. It is almost as if there is no way to truly acknowledge how much we have been given without giving back. For Charlene, this giving back starts with the hard work of growing as an individual and continues on to figuring out how our actions can grow and heal our community around us. We should all be thankful that there are nurses like Charlene Smith in our world."

Without listing specifics here, I think that most of you will find some congruity and empathy with these thoughts, particularly this phrase: "For Charlene, this giving back starts with the hard work of growing as an individual and continues on to figuring out how our actions can grow and heal our community around us." While we must all find our own ways to grow, the mentoring provided by the Elders in our lives are a big part of that for many of us.

The Penzey's catalog is free for the asking and is always filled with stories, recipes, and - of course - spices and their backgrounds.

I note this quotation by Charlene:

Im a hugger, Charlene says. Im always giving everyone a big old bear hug. Ive read that people need to be hugged four times a day and how many people are? Then someone said it should be 15 hugs.
They said, four hugs in the white mans world and 15 in the Indian way. We should be giving more hugs to feel connected and loved and human.

I'm a hugger too. I'm thinking of having a tee shirt made that says:
"15 hugs a day. That's the Indian way."

Here's her story: Charlene H. Smith

Be sure to check out the slide show.

Here's a link to an editorial by Bill Penzey on the same topic.

While these articles all reference Thanksgiving (and cooking and spices) as you have shown, kindness and cooking go on all year long.

"The greatest wisdom: Love and Laughter, Inter-twined."
Ho Ho Tai is offline   Reply With Quote