View Single Post
Old 12-28-2015, 07:09 PM   #38
bigmac

bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakatori View Post
People have widely disparate measures of reliability. Hence, with a 10 year/100,000 mile warranty, plenty of people naturally figure something like "Well, if it's solid for 100k, then that's good enough."

Yes, and expectations have changed over time. When I was a kid people made a big deal of cars making it to 100K (our 1969 Dodge Dart made it to 204K and everyone thought that was amazing).

Today the more reliable cars routinely go 250 to 300K. The most reliable of today's cars required little more than oil changes, and new brake pads and tires to go over 250K (i.e. Toyota Corollas -- at least those with timing chains rather than belts). Other cars need to be pampered a bit more (i.e. my Volvo V70 has 285K but its on its third timing belt which have to be changed routinely to avoid engine failure).

There are also cars that seldom make it past 150K no matter how pampered. My five cylinder naturally aspirated Volvo with four speed automatic has been very reliable, however, models with more powerful turbos and six cylinder engines equipped with similar four speed automatics have be plagued with car killing transmission problems. Bottom line -- do your research. The are internet forums for many makes -- these are a good place to start.
bigmac is offline   Reply With Quote