Thread: cooking shows
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2016, 06:12 PM   #4
one2one
Sentient little hedonist

one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by agouderia View Post
Most people who love cooking shows don't cook themselves.

That is a continuous media science finding which baffled me when I first heard it. A close university friend of mine does TV audience analysis' and she has been doing viewer testing of cooking shows for a decade now - and that is the most significant result. Also the main reason why advertisers like to put commercials for ready-made meals in the shows.
This makes sense to me. I don't have cable, and if pressed will say it's because I'd just spend all day flipping back and forth between the cooking and home improvement shows. Which is true, although mostly it's just that I don't want to have to pay for cable. It's also true that I don't own a house that needs remodeling or do many DIY projects. When I'm somewhere with cable and the cooking shows, I just sit there watching them for so long that I get hungry, don't have the right ingredients at home, and have to order pizza or go out for something really good because I've been watching people prepare such lovely meals that pizza is just not going to satisfy me.

And I cook more of my own food than most of people I know. To help minimize the amount of chemicals and overly processed foods I eat. Often it's simple meals. I don't always use recipes, and when I do I'm more likely to try something from a cookbook I found at the library. Or open the fridge, type an ingredient I want to use into Google, and search for recipes. I have really good luck with ones found on epicurious.com and am less likely to use a recipe from the Food Network. I used to watch Gourmet's Diary of a Foodie and really enjoyed it as a global documentary of unique aspects of food and culture, but it's not really a cooking show.

I think the appeal of watching the cooking shows has something to do with the nurturing/nourishing experience of watching someone cook. As though I were hanging out in the kitchen of a friend or aunt, in some other era, while they make dinner for me. Which rarely happens these days.