View Single Post
Old 02-12-2016, 10:43 AM   #13
Ho Ho Tai

Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default What am I doing down here??? Please show me the door!

This is a great section of Dims and a great thread. It seems inhabited by REAL cooks, which I am not. A dilettante, maybe, but one with quite a bit of experience in certain areas.

I knew that Mrs Ho Ho had tossed most of our non-stick pans and looked to see what remained. It is Swiss Diamond. The pan does seem quite durable but I'm not sure how long we have had it. (I checked with Mrs Ho Ho. We have had it about a year and she has used it two or three times. It's OK but not much of a test.) I did a bit of investigating and found this website:

Consumer fraud alert: Swiss Diamond non-stick cookware made with same chemical as Teflon

Written by Mike Adams the Health Ranger

I never heard of him. Snopes doesn't exactly express an opinion but lists a number of articles by the same author that (IMHO) smack of fruitloopery. I have no reason to lend him any more credibility than the seemingly durable surface of our Swiss Diamond pan.

Since living on my own in MA for four years, I have acquired quite a fleet of All-Clad stainless steel pots and pans, including a number of sauce pans, pressure cookers, and - the Queen of the Fleet - a 12-qt. stainless steel stock pot. Hundreds of soups and chilis have been made in this pot. I have given at least a dozen of them to friends as wedding gifts, usually with some of my favorite recipes tucked inside. It is a bit like bringing a cast iron stove, already fired up, to their cabin - a heart gift.

We have never tried an All-Clad frying pan.

I have purchased most of these from Cookware 'n More. Most of what they have are 'seconds' with barely perceptable 'dings' in them. They have been very gracious in 'cherry-picking' when I tell them it will be a wedding gift.

They do carry the Swiss Diamond line also. I doubt if these are as bad as the earlier review states. I think that Cookware 'n More does have a reputation to preserve.

I can't help but add this blurb from their website:

"Swiss Diamond Swiss Diamond is made with a coating reinforced with real diamonds to create a long-lasting, naturally nonstick surface with superior heat conduction. These pans have a thick, perfectly flat base for stability and even heating with no hot spots as well as a cast aluminum body that will never warp. They are eco-friendly: made with 100% hydroelectric power from the Swiss Alps, PFOA-free production, and have recyclable aluminum bodies. Oven safe up to 500 degrees."

Despite the 100% hydroelectric power, I can't say I've noticed any difference.

"The greatest wisdom: Love and Laughter, Inter-twined."
Ho Ho Tai is offline   Reply With Quote