View Single Post
Old 03-15-2016, 03:46 PM   #4151
Ruby Ripples
Dis Member

Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2one View Post
Thank you!

Thank you! I've never had it before either but was inspired by something Swamptoad posted, so I read through a few recipes and worked with what I had on hand. If I recall, the main flavor elements I used were a lot of carrot, onion and green bell pepper.* It also got a little celery seed, a little Old Bay seasoning, some garlic and about a tablespoon of tomato paste (I think). I used lobster stock for the broth, a small amount of fresh lemon* juice, and let the chorizo do most of the rest of the work for flavoring it. I also forgot to add parsley, so it was garnished with parsley and green onion.

A few of the recipes I looked at called for file powder, which I'd never heard of. I looked it up to see if I could make it with other spices I had on hand, but it was described as a cross between juicy fruit gum and eucalyptus. I promise you that even though I have about 40 spices and blends on hand, I have nothing that is likely to create that flavor combination!

* Normally, I don't like green bell pepper because it's bitter, but in this case I think using it and a very small amount of lemon helped balance everything nicely.
Ooh that sounds interesting. I've never heard of file powder either and that flavour description wouldn't inspire me to add it I must admit. I don't like green pepper either for the same reason, I always use red.
Ruby Ripples is offline   Reply With Quote