View Single Post
Old 05-13-2016, 09:58 AM   #20
agouderia
Library Girl

agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!

[quote=DianaSSBBW;2175688]
Quote:
Originally Posted by agouderia View Post
Greek - aka double strained - yoghurt = great for almost anything, salty, sweet or spicy. I also make cheese cake with it, turns out perfectly.

How do you make Cheese Cake with Greek Yogurt? Do you have a recipe?
It's in essence a variation of a Polish or Austrian style cheese cake - with a thin shortbread crust and a thick (app. 2 inches) layer of a baked curd cheese (twarog/quark/topfen) - a general favorite in Central/Eastern Europe.

Double-strained Greek yoghurt makes an excellent substitute for the curd cheese - I make it regularly that way.

Mine is a light version, with no butter in the cheese filling (totally unecessary imo, only makes it dense and 'concrete-y' - grated lemon peel & vanilla are much more important for the taste) - and don't use flour to soak up the moisture, but stir in a classic cooked pudding (vanilla, cream or almond flavor). Beaten egg whites at the end create the wonderful light creamy texture - although it's low fat.

These two recipes here in cup measures come pretty close:

http://easteuropeanfood.about.com/od...Cheesecake.htm
(again - leave out the butter of this one)

https://recipeland.com/recipe/v/aust...eesecake-36966
(this one is correct regarding the basic approach - only whatever you do - don't use cottage cheese! It doesn't work at all!)

You can always add raisins, and/or chopped almonds, or put fruit on the crust before filling in the cheese mass (cherries or apricots are best). Even chocolate chips work.

Happy baking!
agouderia is offline   Reply With Quote