View Single Post
Old 05-24-2016, 11:21 AM   #23
choudhury

choudhury carries a lot of weight on this boardchoudhury carries a lot of weight on this boardchoudhury carries a lot of weight on this boardchoudhury carries a lot of weight on this boardchoudhury carries a lot of weight on this board

I think bigmac is onto something with the specific point that 'beauty standards' in general are significantly higher for men than they used to be. You only need to consider the contrast between what were considered hunky men on television and movies in the 1960s, compared to today. All that was needed back then, for Sean Connory or William Shatner or whoever, was to be reasonably fit. Nowadays the standard is Daniel Craig - a ridiculous level of sculpted muscularity that requires considerable effort and training. This rebounds against all men. But of course it would affect fat men more, because they're now further from the 'ideal' than they ever were before, historically.

But I really don't think that things have gotten much better for BBWs. Women in general remain massively more objectified than men, and 'thin-to-emaciated' remains very much the dominant norm. True, the internet provides some relief, but I doubt it's that much help in day-to-day life for most BBWs. (Of course, this is just a guess on my part, since I'm not a BBW.)

As for the topic of 'fat couples,' I'll admit that I do NOT generally assume that fat couples are both FAs. My assumption, rather, is that the partners were drawn together by mutual fat acceptance rather than fat admiration. 'Here is someone who shared my love of food, can relate to the challenges I face as a fat person, and who will not judge me because I'm fat.'

How about a couple where only one partner is fat? If they're young, then I generally assume that the thin one is an FA. (This is always sort of fascinating to me, for some reason). If they're long married, etc., then I don't necessarily assume that - especially if they first came together when both were thin - although you never know.
choudhury is offline   Reply With Quote