View Single Post
Old 05-28-2016, 05:43 AM   #34
happily_married
Happy to be part of Dims!

happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
This is an all too common phenomenon. Health clubs and gyms from coast to coast are staffed by people whose primary qualification is that they look good in shorts and tee shirt.
I am of the mindset that people who always understood math make the worst math teachers. To someone who understands math, "not getting it" simply doesn't compute. It makes sense to them so it should make sense to everyone else. They don't know what it's like to not understand math and some of the more complex concepts. They just assume if they explain it then it'll make perfect sense and everyone will understand it.

There are a lot of fit people and trainers who are like this. They don't understand what it's like to need or want to lose weight. They just say, "move more, eat less" and expect someone who has struggled his/her whole life with weight to be able to apply that into something useful. The truth is it is a complete lifestyle change. Not a lot of trainers have themselves had to go through this so they don't understand their own clients.

I'm not saying a person who has struggled with weight automatically makes a better trainer. But that person has an element of insight into what someone who is losing weight is going through.

Not all trainers are created equal. There are trainers who did an online certification and then there are trainers who are legitimate coaches. Unfortunately a lot of people who are just beginning don't know the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelingfire View Post
“treat fitness like a religion” Do you know anyone who goes to Crossfit? I do believe HIIT works, but I want to vomit when I listen go members go on about the greatness of Crossfit.
Ah, yes, Crossfit. The fifth of the world's five great religions (Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Athiesm, and Crossfit). I won't get into the argument of if it works or not, or if it's superior to conventional training. Suffice to say my single biggest gripe with it is the way crossfitters show absolutely no respect for any other type of training. If you aren't doing crossfit you aren't functionally fit. And of course, they define functionally fit as "doing crossfit" so they give themselves a feeling of exclusivity.

I'll be off topic quick though if I continue. A lot of people like it, and thrive at it, and good for them. It causes a lot of injuries, so buyer beware. Ultimately it is not the topic of this thread, but I can't read or hear about it without rolling my eyes and groaning.
happily_married is offline   Reply With Quote