View Single Post
Old 11-30-2016, 11:23 AM   #30
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Well, BMI gives a more accurate gauge than weight on its own, but I do admit that this is a bit like saying a weather report giving you temperature and pressure gives you a better idea of the weather than just temperature -- you are still not getting all the information that you'd want to really understand.

Unfortunately height and weight are easy to measure, and BMI was chosen to be easy to calculate (even if all along people realized that we don't actually scale at square of height -- ease of calculation was chosen over accuracy). More informative measurements about body composition tend to be harder to get, so not generally available

In other words, for things like setting up size classifications, I don't see other accessible alternatives at the moment. I'll agree that classifications can create problems, can be misleading, and are always arbitrary, but at the same time there can be information gathered from them.