Thread: My path here
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2016, 07:35 AM   #5
agouderia
Library Girl

agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leem View Post
One of the biggest changes has been in my confidence and self esteem. I don't know when I allowed it to be stripped from me but it had been. Or maybe it was never very strong to begin with as even when I weighed 130-140 in my teens I felt I was fat. Of course I wasn't but that is the message that I received; I wasn't perfect enough.
This probably is the key to the majority of weight gain histories among women.

Fat-bashing and weight-loss harassment is inflicted upon legions of totally normal teenage girls, with medically normal BMI's - simply because the teen girl ideal is plain underweight. And not every female can physically and psychologically meet it.

The social pressure to conform ruins self-esteem, starts frustrating diet-careers, contributes to depression, fuels more weight gain than would happen otherwise - and leads to women wasting a significant chunk of their energy on this 'problem'. Energy which could be much more productively used on other endeavors to get ahead in life.

I often wonder what the social and medical tally of this harm inflicted millionfold would amount to - and if stopping this process wouldn't save a big chunk out of the claimed health costs for the so-called 'obesity crisis'. It's a pervasive issue nobody is aware of, that has no lobby - and could be changed so easily.
agouderia is offline   Reply With Quote