View Single Post
Old 02-01-2017, 10:23 AM   #71
agouderia
Library Girl

agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!

The discussion in this thread imo shows the necessity to differentiate between relationships and what I would like to call arrangements.

Relationships are based on mutual love, respect and the acceptance of the partner as a complete and autonomous persona.

Arrangements are two people who are together because they feel they need to be part of a couple, even if the person or constellation for them is not (or even far from) their envisioned ideal. It's some sort of compromise.

Many of these "arrangements" I meet IRL baffle me, given that there no longer is the social, economic and sometimes even legal necessity and pressure to be in a - at best legalized - couple status. Still, I know enough women who make more compromises to have a man at their side than they would be willing to for almost anything else in life.
I've seen it with men too, though am empirically not as well versed because these mostly are things you open up about to friends of your own gender.

Such a compromise package for establishing an arrangement consists of a number of elements - size possibly being one of them. And if the elements that held together the package change radically, well then the entire thing is likely to disintegrate. Meaning the reasons for the couple arrangement are no longer all in place and it comes to an end.

Maybe a slightly cynical view of things -but from something that truly is a relationship, the "for better or worse" does apply.
agouderia is offline   Reply With Quote