View Single Post
Old 02-18-2017, 08:30 PM   #12
TwoSwords

TwoSwords never has a post go unnoticedTwoSwords never has a post go unnoticedTwoSwords never has a post go unnoticedTwoSwords never has a post go unnoticedTwoSwords never has a post go unnoticedTwoSwords never has a post go unnoticedTwoSwords never has a post go unnoticed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happenstance View Post
That is simply not true - they do exist naturally in small amounts, and have been consumed by humans for eons via meats.
Many naturally-occurring foods contain small amounts of things which, in larger doses, are extremely poisonous, much more so than trans fats. For instance, almonds; one of the healthiest nuts in the world, contains small amounts of cyanide. Don't eat 10 lbs of almonds in one sitting, or you will die of cyanide poisoning.

Quote:
The human body may not be properly equipped to digest them, but neither can we digest cellulose in vegetables. Do we stop eating vegetables?
We also don't really "digest" fiber. That's left up to the friendly gut bacteria, but nonetheless, fiber is essential in our diet.

Quote:
My entire point, regardless of what specific case it's being applied to, is that we should all be questioning what we hear and read from sources that supposedly have some sort of authority.
In no case is that more true than with nutrition, which is an area where proving a claim is almost impossible, and so it's filled with snake oil salesmen, trying to convince you that only their idea can solve your obvious problem for 19.95 plus tax and shipping.

Quote:
This becomes dangerous in an age when science is so closely tied to the economy.
It's too bad that none of us have the money or time to do all our own science. At least I know I don't. As far as questioning things you hear, though, you bet. That's why you look for corroborative evidence for everything.
TwoSwords is offline   Reply With Quote