View Single Post
Old 03-04-2017, 07:36 PM   #19
happily_married
Happy to be part of Dims!

happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by agouderia View Post
No - a lack of tact doesn't kill someone.
But constant lack of tact kills something in someone - their feeling of self worth.
Exactly. To OP it's a well meant compliment but to the woman to whom he shares said "compliment" it's very likely the latest in a string of (at best) cautionary flags or (at worst) outright demeaning drawing of attention to her weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agouderia View Post
Weight is - especially for women - a highly intimate subject. And one which, if you don't conform to the social weight norm - is constantly, tactlessly dragged out in the open and discussed. There is no other personal "weakness" or "fault" were it is so socially accepted to pick on others in public.
This is pure gold. Platinum, even. I can't even add to it but I can't stress to OP enough that THIS IS WHY his approach is highly likely to fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoSwords View Post
See, I'm still not sure. Keep in mind, I'm still not convinced that people can change the stimuli that cause their emotions to react...
Do you find it acceptable when a grown adult reacts the way a small child would when something doesn't go his/her own way? Do you believe in emotional maturity?