Thread: Loop in America
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2017, 01:37 PM   #7
loopytheone
Administrator

loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post
For travel:

- Slipper socks to wear on the plane (so nice not to be in shoes for hours on end, especially as feet tend to swell on flights),

- in your carry-on have a flannel and soap you like on your face as well as a change of underwear, can make a layover a somewhat refreshing experience.

- Tomato juice and water will help keep you hydrated.

- Be thankful you aren't bigger!

For the US:

- You may not be much of a shopper, but try to go visit a Torrid or Lane Bryant, and buy some things you wouldn't see back home.
- Don't forget that all beverage sizes will be one or two steps larger than what you are used to. I've seen places in the US where a 'small' coffee was about 330ml! Order down a size, or don't drink it all (unless you want to, of course).

- Whenever you can eat vegetables, do so -- they can be a challenge when travelling in general, and cheaper restaurants tend not to emphasize them.

- If you are a tea drinker, make sure you are getting hot tea (iced tea being more common in parts of the US -- generally they will ask, but if you aren't expecting the question and they aren't used to the accent, it can be hard to figure out what they are asking at first)

- (You already know this one from Hyde Park) Avoid politics! If directly asked, probably safest to say "I avoid politics."

- Depending where you are in the US, pedestrians can be quite rare, and drivers not really paying attention for them. Not an issue in the core of bigger cities, but there are suburbs with no sidewalks for instance.

- (I'm sure you know this, but to be complete) Figure out what you need for charging any electronics that you are bringing. I think you visited Canada once, some years back? Same plugs and voltages and all of that as the US, so you may already be equipped.

- And finally don't forget: on average Americans are among the kindest, most generous, sweetest people you'll ever meet. Don't get too freaked out if someone goes way beyond the expected to be helpful. They really probably are just that nice, and not actually a serial killer (despite what American TV might have you believe, lol). They may not be polite by UK standards, but you may find them far warmer at the same time.
Wow, thank you for all the advice! I admit, I'm kinda nervous about the whole thing as I've never been to america before. It's scary!

I never thought about tea, though I guess I could do the old fashioned british thing and take tea bags with me and make them in the hotel. I'm gonna assume that hotels in america don't come with complimentary tea.

...that is utterly bizarre to me, that there are suburbs without pavements. I walk pretty much everywhere. Though as I'm staying in Chicago it shouldn't be too much of an issue, I don't think. Besides which, I've got my other half to use as a meat shield if necessary!

I honestly never even thought of finding chargers. I don't remember where my adapter plug that I used in canada ended up, I will have to try and find it. Thank you for reminding me!

Heh, I admit, I was surprised when I went to canada how friendly everyone was. Over here, the natural reaction to friendliness/being approached is to be wary and back off, as they are usually trying to sell you something, but it seems much more common in other places. It's honestly kinda scary to me because a big part of my ability to cope with being in public comes from the knowledge that nobody will try and interact with me, at least over here. But I'm sure I will manage fine!
loopytheone is online now   Reply With Quote