Thread: Loop in America
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2017, 12:18 PM   #13
loopytheone
Administrator

loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumbling View Post
No complimentary kettle either... electric kettles not really a thing.

Make sure you put your ESTA application in as soon as you have your tickets confirmed.

DO look up things you want to see in Chicago, the museums are amazing. And you can buy a single pass for all the big touristy things for a discount.
Also visit some 'new deal' era civic buildings.. they have amazing architecture, artwork and murals.

You can drive serious distances in a few hours too, so if there are things in Illinois or even Wisconsin(House on the Rock!, Bronze Fonz, that guy who puts Trucks up trees ), Michigan, Indiana or Iowa(Mississippi River Museum in Dubuque!) you think you might like to see, budget for a road trip and an overnight stop. State Parks are always worth visiting too.

Also... pack along some antihistamines that agree with you, even if you don't usually suffer from hayfever, strange pollens can get you.

Your standard issue visa debit card should work almost everywhere, but you may have to run it as a 'credit' transaction. and you can withdraw cash from a machine. 'chip and pin' is a thing in the US now... but your card might not authorise that way... if in doubt, try running it as a credit transaction.

Tell your bank that you are going overseas, tell them to flag your account accordingly. DESPITE THIS... your card may be blocked anyway. If you are lucky, they will call you (make sure your bank has your mobile number and that you have international roaming turned on) before you have an embarrassing encounter at checkout. Don't Panic. Usually you just have to call the number on the back of the card identify yourself and confirm your last three transactions to get it sorted.

For shopping... re.TAD .. visit the mall in Schaumburg(?) everything is there... then have your BF take you to a Sybaris Suite to rest your feets.

ETA... Enjoy your time together, LDR's are not easy.. so make memories
Oh... I completely forgot about electric kettles not being common in america. o_o They are a staple household item over here, even more so than a microwave, so it seems so strange to me.

I got authorisation from the ESTA thingy already. Do I need to do anything else it order to enter under the Visa Waiver Program? There doesn't seem to be any separate forms to fill in for that or anything? At least, not that I can find. Is it automatic when you complete the ESTA?

I don't have access to a car or anything so no roadtrips, I'm afraid. I do have a local tour guide though! State parks do sound awesome, america is such a huge place I never really know where to begin!

I hadn't even thought of the antihistamines, that's a really good point. I get hayfever anyway, so I think antihistamines along with travel sickness medicine is important for me.

I never thought about debit cards either. I'm taking a fair amount in cash with me, but telling the bank about my trip might be a good idea in case I run out of money. Or I can make my boyfriend pay for it, that's what he's there for, right? =p

That sybaris place looks amazing! =D And thank you so much for all the good advice! =D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post
Crumbling's point about banks reminded me of another one. An increasing number of web sites monitor where you are logging in from, and make you jump through some extra hoops if you suddenly log in from a strange place. So make sure that you are current on whatever your back-up items are (as in: if it texts your mobile as a security check, make sure it is the number you will be using. If it uses security questions, make sure you know the answers you gave if they are not completely obvious, etc).
Ah, I hadn't thought of that either! I tend not to have my mobile linked up to websites at all but I should probably prepare myself for that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyantha Reborn View Post
And if you can, get health/life insurance for the trip - no real free heathcare in the Us, just in case you get hurt!
I have travel insurance, which includes health insurance as a part of it. =) 30 for 8 days, and it also includes compensation if any of the flights are cancelled or anything. My mother wouldn't stop nagging me about it until I took her a physical, printed copy of my travel insurance confirmation and now she is keeping that!
loopytheone is offline   Reply With Quote