Thread: Loop in America
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2017, 01:47 AM   #16
agouderia
Library Girl

agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post
An increasing number of web sites monitor where you are logging in from, and make you jump through some extra hoops if you suddenly log in from a strange place.
Don't tell me - the drama of my life. As someone who travels a lot and uses VPN, it's a nightmare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumbling View Post
DO look up things you want to see in Chicago, the museums are amazing. And you can buy a single pass for all the big touristy things for a discount.
Also visit some 'new deal' era civic buildings.. they have amazing architecture, artwork and murals.
Totally second this recommendation- they're too often overlooked in Chicago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopytheone View Post

I'm taking a fair amount in cash with me,
Do not do this!

2 reasons:

1. It's literally a waste of money.
You get the worst rates on exchanging cash. Also - many banks these days don't even do it any more, so you might even have trouble finding a place.

2. It's the unsafest thing you can do.
Should something happen - cash is always gone. With plastic money, you can have the cards blocked - and credit cards even have an automatic anti-fraud insurance.
If you don't have a credit card, get one - you really need it traveling.

Like with the (meaningful) insurance you mentioned - it will cover everything by reimbursement, but you will have to pay upfront. Be it medical care, new plane tickets, etc. - it will be extremely complicated to get any of these things without a credit card.

Should your bank put up a fuss, get your mother to co-sign and vouch for you. (My mom still vouches for one of my credit cards which was the first one I ever had and insisted on getting for exactly those above named traveling purposes when I was 18.)

Have a great trip!
agouderia is offline   Reply With Quote