Thread: Loop in America
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2017, 02:51 AM   #18
loopytheone
Administrator

loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agouderia View Post
Do not do this!

2 reasons:

1. It's literally a waste of money.
You get the worst rates on exchanging cash. Also - many banks these days don't even do it any more, so you might even have trouble finding a place.

2. It's the unsafest thing you can do.
Should something happen - cash is always gone. With plastic money, you can have the cards blocked - and credit cards even have an automatic anti-fraud insurance.
If you don't have a credit card, get one - you really need it traveling.

Like with the (meaningful) insurance you mentioned - it will cover everything by reimbursement, but you will have to pay upfront. Be it medical care, new plane tickets, etc. - it will be extremely complicated to get any of these things without a credit card.

Should your bank put up a fuss, get your mother to co-sign and vouch for you. (My mom still vouches for one of my credit cards which was the first one I ever had and insisted on getting for exactly those above named traveling purposes when I was 18.)

Have a great trip!
Well I'll be taking my debit card with me as backup incase anything happens, but I really can't afford to use it if at all possible. I tend to spend less money if I have cash instead of just a card and I honestly can't afford to be spending what's in my bank account; my 'income' (disability benefit, basically) is being cut by a third this month and I need the money to pay my gas/electric/water bills. The cash I have is stuff that was given to me as gifts throughout the year so it was already set aside.

As for actual credit cards (rather than debit cards) .... nope nope nope. Just no. I know they are very useful for some people but as somebody who lived in poverty growing up because of other people's recklessness with credit cards... I just can't.
loopytheone is offline   Reply With Quote