Thread: Loop in America
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2017, 06:26 PM   #34
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeThinker View Post
Other peculiar Americanisms of which you should be aware:

The WC is referred to as a 'bathroom', even if there is no bath contained therein. In public places (retail, tourist places, etc), such facilities may be referred to as 'restrooms'. Toilet paper is politely referred to as 'bathroom tissue'.

Carbonated soft drinks may be called soda, pop, or coke (even if it's not cola). There is no Bitter Lemon.

Be prepared to hear religious-sounding phrases used as pleasantries ("bless you," "have a blessed day," or the like).

'Fanny' refers to one's backside, not the part of anatomy referenced in the British Isles, so don't be freaked out to hear it used in public.

I'm sure there are other examples, but these are the ones that commonly strike me.

Enjoy your trip.
Have a blessed day....did you pick that up from your trip to Pigeon Forge? Don't forget Bless your Heart. That is a southern thang though I do believe.

You were being serious about that bitter lemon thing, eh? Don't make me paddle your fanny...

I say toilet paper.

A shopping cart can be referred to as a buggy...though I think that may be another southern expression. Some of the people that I used to work with that migrated to the USA tripped out on that one.

Oh and one thing I learned from yahoo chat rooms,Loop....don't use the slang expression used in England for cigarettes. That's a definite slur here...big no no.
Slang and references change region to region....just like the foods and how they taste can. Little countries within a big geography.
Chicago is known for some foods...which I plan to try.

Interesting to see that Loop's travel plans started another argument in Soap Box

BTW, we won the whole damn continent...didn't you notice?

Don't make me start singing patriotic songs Andrew...I'll start posting Youtube links just to show you Mister.

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote