Thread: Loop in America
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2017, 12:33 PM   #48
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Loopy, I don’t know if you are much of a reader, nor what sort of thing you like to read, so 90% this won’t be of interest, but on the 10% … there is a book series of moder, urban, fantasy that goes by the name “The Dresden Files” which is set in Chicago, and makes quite a bit of use of Chicago (major events happen at big landmarks, various areas and neighborhoods are described, some of the geography and history of the city is explored), and which is a lot of fun for people who like books about things like wizard detectives (It starts off referencing a lot of the classic tropes from 20th century hard boiled detective stories, although it gradually drops those as it builds up its own mythology.) Any of the first ten novels in the series stand on their own reasonably well, but the later ones really need to be read in order to make much sense.

If that sort of book isn’t your cup of tea, you might consider other books or movies or tv series set in Chicago, to give you a bit of a feel for the place, and to give you some places to see for reasons beyond the obvious (at least for me, it is kind of cool to visit places I’ve seen described in books)