Thread: Loop in America
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2017, 03:16 AM   #72
agouderia
Library Girl

agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!

Now this is an issue I have helluva lot of experience with in the transatlantic context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeThinker View Post
In the States, it's considered bad manners to eat from a fork in your left hand. When you're done cutting something (usually with knife in right hand and fork in left), you are expected to switch the fork to your right hand before taking a bite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoGibson View Post
Truthfully no one gives a fat rat's ass how you eat as long as you're not snagging it from their plate.
Both are true from my experience.

"Good manners" in the US is indeed to first cut things and then eat them with your fork in the right hand. (As is by the way not putting you spoon fully in your mouth when eating soup, but sipping from the side).

But these etiquette rules are no big issue in the US - and it is very unlikely being called out on them.

In Europe - despite differences from country to country, the basics are the same - table manners matter. They are one of the first distinctions on how "civilized" you are. And partially they also have to do with the fact, that hunger and rationing still subconsciously exist in collective memory, making food a more valuable item that needs to be handled with care.

So Loopy's parent did the right thing and thaught her to eat with knife-right hand and fork-left-hand.

I once witnessed a scene in a Brussels restaurant (so not Paris!), where the chef kicked an American NATO guy out of his restaurant. He had cut up his meat - and also mushed it up with sauce and vegetables - to then eat it only with his fork. On kicking him out, the chef stated that the guy's way of eating showed "no respect for the food and for his work as chef".
agouderia is offline   Reply With Quote